If you've been living under a rock or are part of the cast of Lost, the World Cup is currently in progress. As I'm working downtown this week, I couldn't help but notice the large number of freaky soccer fans that live and work in Toronto.

One of my officemates, who I actually worked with at another company three years ago (my world is the size of PEI), is currently wearing a jersey supporting Britain, and another has Brazil's flag positioned prominently above her monitor.

But the best part is in the food court, where one of the vendors is selling plastic horns that people (preferably women) can wear to support the South Korean team. Although I was offered a pair of these highly attractive (if you're into horns) items, I declined. I mean really, I could have been called into a meeting or spotted by a pack of camera-toting tourists.

The current gig is proofing and editing recruitment ads. Hundreds of them. Don't complain to me about not being able to find work; I've seen the ads, there are jobs out there. Okay, I admit, some of them aren't quite the normal, super-cool variety. (One was for a spore technician...ewww.) But if you have a high school diploma, excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure despite conflicting priorities, I know of a couple jobs that may be just the thing you're looking for. In Kamloops. Or Halifax. How about Whitby?

And I finally cracked 30K on the WIP the other day. Of course, I should have done that about two months ago, but I look upon this as progress. It's not like I really need another t-shirt, but it would be nice to meet a deadline on a project that I'm just doing for me.

I received an awesome email from a woman who read my article on The Secret Life of a Freelance Writer (on Women Can Do Anything). She claims that she laughed so hard she almost peed her pants. I'm glad my writing has that kind of effect on people. That email is getting framed!