Today has been mind-blowing, simply because I've witnessed incredible highs and horrific lows...

And that's not even including the entries I'm judging for the RWA's Golden Heart contest. ;)

In all seriousness, this time of year can be absolute crap for those who are dealing with the loss of a loved one or a diagnosis that points out where the end of the road will be. It turns out that a friend's husband has pancreatic cancer. And that really, really sucks.

When life throws a curve ball like that, it makes it impossible to focus on whether or not the laundry gets done or if there are any groceries in the fridge.

And then, just when I was ready to shake my fist at the sky and declare that there was no bright side to anything that could happen today, I stepped outside into a snowstorm.

Okay, maybe it wasn't a snowstorm, but it might as well have been with the mood I was in. Ready to grumble and just not bother with going to the store, I was interrupted by Lukas, the five-year-old pirate wannabe who lives next door.

"Bonnie, it's snowing!"

Sure, he was totally stating the obvious, but he said it with such glee and punctuated it with a prance across the lawn that I couldn't help but smile, then laugh, and then join him in catching snowflakes with our tongues.

And you know something? Lukas' weather report was absolutely right. It was snowing. And he took full advantage of it.

I just have to remember the wisdom of a five-year-old when things get tough.

Peace out.

Labels: ,