Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it just shakes things up.

Now I'm not talking about breaking the law -- that's totally different. And the last thing I need is someone pulling up this blog post in a courtroom and pinning the blame on me for the crime. You know what I'm saying?

But today I took a moment, while walking Zaphod around the back garden, to wrap my head around some of the rules that were holding me back. You know, those "shoulds" that keep on thundering in my head whenever I turn the music down.

If you don't hear voices in your head, you may be at the wrong blog. Thanks for stopping by anyway. ;)

The shoulds. They can strangle any motivation right out of you if you let them. Instead of going after you're dreams, you're making brownies for a little league team. Of course, if your dream is to make a whole bunch of brownies, you're in luck!

I hate to admit it, but Dr. Phil reminded me of something the other day. No, not that anyone can get on TV, but that kids (and us older people) need to learn what it feels like to accomplish something on our own. That is, to go after something and achieve it because we want to, not because someone's urging us to do it or it was someone else's dream and they've now foisted it on you.

There's nothing better than going for something and getting somewhere. Sure, you may not get to the destination you initially intended, but if you don't try you'll just end up covered in cobwebs at square one. And that's doesn't make for great dinner party conversation, unless you're sitting beside someone who doesn't want to talk about it. ;)

No, I'm still not over it. Give me another year or so.

So I guess I'm saying, "Don't let those pesky rules stop you." There's nothing quite as exhilarating as taking a risk. If it pays off, great. If it doesn't, you're no further behind than when you started -- and now you can try something else.

What's the biggest rule that gets in your way?

Labels: ,