The good, the bad, and the fugly
Saturday, June 19, 2010
I've been quiet because you really didn't need to know what was going on in Bonnieland. One day I'll look back upon late May/early June as a time when I needed to "shop at the perspective store," as DH so lovingly told me.
Yes, he's still alive.
What really helped was a tour of Alcatraz, truth be told. I stood and peered into each small cell and thought about how good I had it. Sure, the inmates had a bed and three square meals a day, but they had little else.
Not even a kitten of mass destruction (who greeted me with poop at the door upon my return).
And while last week I'd been fully prepared to peel the face off a perfect stranger because she couldn't put her shopping cart to the side like you're supposed to, now I'm feeling less dangerous.
1. I spent four days being a tourist in an incredibly fun city with Laura, my incredibly fun friend from college. Rode the hop-on/hop-off tour bus as if it were the best thing since Jell-O. Then we switched to the trolley cars. My arms and legs still hurt from all the hanging on for dear life.
2. I attended a local writer's group meeting (not one that I belong to) and instead of being treated like a welcome guest, my friends and I got the stink eye, a few shushes, and discontented murmur's when a few of us won raffle items. Little did we know we weren't their type of people. It's okay; the feeling is mutual. ;) Made me appreciate my writing group a whole lot more.
3. As much as it drives me nuts, I actually enjoy what I do for a living. There are a lot of people who can't say that, so I count myself lucky. And no, I'm not talking about my go-go dancing career. :)
4. The notes from my beta reader on the novel that almost killed me aren't that bad. Yeah, I have a ton of work to do, but it'll make for a much stronger story. Looks like I'll have to pick up more index cards. Maybe colourful ones! I heart shopping for office supplies!
5. I have the best husband in the world. Even if he snores louder than my grandmother.
What about you? What makes you appreciate what you have?
posted by Bonnie Staring at 11:01 PM