Happy New Year!

Thanks to Joan Leacott, a talented writer of contemporary romance filled with Canadian charm, I've been invited to participate in The Next Big Thing in which I answer ten questions about my current work in progress.

This is a big thing for me, since I feel that posting stuff about a WIP jinxes things. ;)

But it's a new year, a time for doing things differently, right? :::gulps:::

1. What is the working title of your book?

Rats. That's one question I don't want to answer, so let's call it The Book That Will Launch Bonnie's Novel-writing Career. No pressure.

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

I've always wanted to write a story where a girl has to rescue a boy, and suddenly the idea of a boy getting trapped inside a daisy because of a magic spell gone wrong popped into my head. And no, I wasn't consuming alcohol or playing Twister at the time.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

Young adult romance with really bizarre elements. That's a genre, right?

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

All the actors that come to mind are way too old to play my 16 and 17-year-old characters. And that might reveal that I'm not 16, even though I act that way. So there.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

In a twisted take on Beauty and the Beast, a girl discovers that the boy who broke her heart has been magically turned into a daisy, and she's the only one who can rescue him before he turns into compost.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'd rather focus on writing (and revising), so I'd prefer to take the agency route.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

For-e-ver. Joan's 107 days put me to shame. Then again, I do work by day writing copy and magazine articles. Shoot, if I posted how long it took, people will point at me and laugh.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?


Oh my goodness, these questions are hard! Although my novel covers some serious subject matter, it's done with humour. And I can't think of any other books where the hero is stuck in a plant. ;)

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I'm lucky to have a lot of great friends and family members who are very encouraging and urged me to write something "more fun and zany" than my last novel, which kind of veered onto the dark side. Of course, my dark side is more like a light grey one, but it took me to a sad place when I wrote that way.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Petals drop! Romance blossoms! And there's a healthy dose of redemption.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?
Send money now and I'll answer your questions! Operators are standing by!

This is the point where I invite others to post their own answers to the same questions, but I'm going to leave that up to you. If you do decide to participate, please link back to this page and let us know where to find your answers.

Thanks for reading!















Labels: , ,