I squeezed out 9,000 words for the novel this week. It was like taking on the world's largest zit, only less messy.

Seriously. Normally a word count like this would take months, especially now that I'm in Draft 2 mode. You know, the version where I need to let readers know where my characters are and what they might be thinking instead of just saying:

"Hey."
"Hey."
"Too bad about that thing."
"It's all right. I can deal."
And then they all died.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. One previously blocked by my refusal to open a vein and hold it over the keyboard. By not going there, to that place where bad things happen to characters. And to writers.

SQUEE BREAK
My lovely novel, Camp Awakening, is a finalist in the Wisconsin RWA's Fabulous Five Contest! I totally didn't expect it (this is the second contest this novel has been a finalist for) and I'm verra, verra excited. Yes, I love contests, especially when it works in my favour. The feedback from the first-round judges was truly helpful (and I'm not just saying that, really).

The contest organizers even sent me this awesome button to put on my blog:


Isn't it purdy? Now I have to figure out how to get it in my sidebar somehow. Maybe my resident cabana boy can help me.

Have an awesome week!

Labels: , , ,