Even after reading The Secret and asking the universe for all that I want, why oh why do I still end up doing things that prevent me from reaching my goals?

It's a rhetorical question, so you can put your hand down.

Today the universe presented me with an unscheduled day off from the regular Tuesday work that takes me downtown to do stuff for one of my clients. I delighted in the thought of all that I would be able to accomplish in this mystical window of time.

Yeah, it overwhelmed me so much that I focused on busywork. It's the little things that make me feel like I'm doing something while shows about decorating, selling houses and siblings who steal each other's identities drone on in the background.

So instead of getting a large chunk of writing done, I've managed to do some invoicing and recycling. Both my bank balance and the environment will thank me later, I'm sure.

Yesterday I also received my score sheet from RWA's Golden Heart competition. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

Of the five judges, one really, really liked the book (9/10), another really didn't like it (5/10) and the other three gave it an above-average score. Though it wasn't in the top percent and in line for being a finalist, at least it rated better than average.

This means a lot considering the state of that particular version of the synopsis and those first pages! Actually, it's a good thing that Suds didn't make it to the next round, because it would have probably caused quite a scene as judges ran screaming from the room in search of red pens.

And no, this isn't a cry for sympathy. Ask my betas; they can tell you how...interesting some parts were. Even without the frequent stops for food and the cast of thousands. ;)

So while the score sheet did provide a distraction, it also gives me inspiration. That little manuscript didn't fare too badly on its first venture out into the contest world. While my focus shall be on selling this puppy and not entering contests (for my novels anyway), I do plan on taking part in the TRW Golden Opportunity competition.

That means I really have to get to work, as the deadline is May 17!