Some people detest riding public transit, while other embrace the tree-hugging environmental awareness aspect of it.

Me? I just love listening in on people's cellphone calls.

Take this week, for example. There I was, all ready to pull out the novel I'm reading at the moment (Eat, Pray, Love, if you must know, I'm just starting the India section), when behind me I heard:

"I'm not getting another credit card until you get a job."

Seriously people, who can turn down an ear-wigging opportunity like the one the woman two seats back was offering? Forget about reading or listening to an audio recording of an RWA workshop--this was Dr. Phil drama, right there on the bus!

Here are just a few of the highlights:

"My mom says you should get a job, any job. Even a part time one."

"Taking a break only works for the first three months."

And, my favourite:

"Maybe you can do some of those medical experiments. I hear the pay is pretty good."

Talk about a smart cookie. If your deadbeat boyfriend is out of luck career-wise, sign him up to test pharmaceutical products! It's brilliant, really.

Too bad I had to switch buses, I would have loved to hear more of her ideas. Fortunately, as I opened my book, the guy behind me answered his cell phone.

"Yeah, I've been waiting to hear from you."

Ooh! It sounded like a storm was brewing, so I tossed my novel back into my bag. Here are this call's good bits:

"Dude, you can't even show up to the court house on time."

"Why are you letting her hassle you like that?"

"She's always blaming you for something."

And then I had the strangest thought. What if it was the same dude on the other side of both conversations?

It's possible. After getting chewed out by the girlfriend, the guy calls his buddy to complain.

But I wonder why he needed to be at the courthouse. I guess I'll have to find out the next time I'm on the bus.

Luckily I have a pass this month.

Labels: ,