Welcome!

I'm delighted to be part of the Cupid's Literary Connection Kissing Scene Competition, and perhaps a little terrified at the same time. There are 50 of us competing for the 10 spots in Round Two, in which three entries will be given the go-ahead to participate in the Agent Blind Speed Dating contest, happening later in February. (Yeah, there's a whole bunch of cool stuff going on at that site, check it out!)

The setup
This scene is from my young adult manuscript, POWER STRUGGLES, and takes place after Melody, a 16-year-old telekinetic boot-camp trainee, bumps into Jonas, a junior trainer, out on a path past curfew, which could land her in even more trouble. She's already been caught using her power without supervision, which resulted in a consequence of having bruises appear on her face and arms. They were just comparing notes on Jonas losing his parents, and Melody losing her father.

***

“I thought I’d lost her, too.”


“But you didn’t, so consider yourself lucky.” Jonas took my hand and gave it a squeeze. My skin tingled. “You’ll both get through it eventually.”

“Did you?”

“Not yet. But time makes it easier.”

“I don’t want to forget him.”

“You won’t.” He let go of my hand and reached up to touch my jaw. “Are you sure that doesn’t hurt?”

“Only when I see myself in the mirror.”

My laugh drifted back down my throat as I looked up at him. His finger traced the side of my face and tucked my hair behind my ear. I gulped.

“Feel like breaking another rule?” he whispered.

I nodded, leaned into him and closed my eyes. His lips covered mine, gently at first and then firmer. One of his hands held the back of my head, as if I’d even think of moving my lips away from his.

Sure, I’d been kissed before, but nothing like this.

I slipped my arms around his warm neck. His chest pressed against mine. My hurt shoulder ached a bit as my fingers tangled in his wavy hair, but I ignored it. No lights or sparks appeared behind my eyelids to distract me from the awesomeness of his lips, and I was glad.

Jonas broke away much too soon.

“This is wrong,” he whispered, almost to himself.

“I know,” I agreed. “But we’re rebels, remember?”

He touched his forehead to mine. I waited for him to pull away. He didn’t. The protective spell I’d felt earlier embraced me along with Jonas. I took a deep breath. Everything about him smelled good.

“Do you want me to kiss you again?” His lips curved into a wicked grin. “Even though it’s completely against the rules?”

“Totally.”

He chuckled again, and this time his breath tickled my lips.

A twig snapped farther along the path. We released each other. A beam from a flashlight shone through the trees.

“Get inside,” he said. “Pretend you’re asleep.”

I started to say goodnight, but he was already gone.

Labels: , ,