This has been an interesting week for me. Kitty care aside, it seems that every time I check my email, there's more stuff I need to do. Thankfully most of it is for money, but some of the other stuff I really can't pass off onto others or suddenly feign a coma to get out of doing it.

When I whined to a girlfriend about it, she told me to stop checking my email ALL THE FREAKING TIME. LIKE EVERY FIVE MINUTES. And that reminded me of the last time she gave me that sage advice when I started working from home -- and it actually helped.

It's the power of three. Now I'm not talking about only checking your email every three days or so (can you imagine?), I'm referring to the three times during business hours method: first thing in the morning, after lunch and before it's too late to respond by 5:00 p.m. It's a method that helped me stay offline and remain focused on the project(s) at hand.

So why the heck did I stop doing that?

Beats me.

So I tried it for the first time in ages today...and you know something? It kind of worked. While there were still some emails in there that I didn't want to see (requests for revisions, ACK!), I felt better prepared to receive them. Huh, who knew?

So if you're sitting there hitting the "Send/Receive" in Outlook, "Check Mail" in Hotmail or "Write Me Dammit" in addictedtomyemail.com (kidding!), maybe you should think about laying off the mouse button a little bit. Or not. ;)

In the meantime, I have some emails to look over...

Labels: ,