Now that 2008 is nipping at my heels, I thought I'd take a look at the goals I set for myself (and posted up on dis blog for all to see) and see how I've fared:

GOAL: Revise Suds and start shopping it around. (Land an agent and selling the book are on the list too, but first things first, okay?)
STATUS: Complete! The Hot and the Bothered has been polished within an inch of its life and, since November, I've been actively seeking representation.

GOAL: Add another magazine column to my roster.
STATUS: Complete! This was one of my earliest accomplishments in 2007, as I was hired on by The Driver magazine in February 2007.

GOAL: Submit one magazine article query letter a week. (I was able to do this for five months last year, let's try it for all 12 this time!)
STATUS: Complete! This one surprised me, because if I actually looked at my stats from week to week, I failed. But, when I added up all the article queries I sent out in 2007, I did 54. That's two to spare!

GOAL: Find a writing group that works for me.
STATUS: Uh-oh. Does being a member of a group of writers count? ;)

GOAL: Less TV and more living.
STATUS: Complete! Thank you writer's strike.

GOAL: Write another book or two (I have the ideas, just need to get them out of my head).
STATUS: Damn. The next book is still an unfinished first draft, but a new due date of January 31, 2008 will be added to the goals for next year.

GOAL: Win some fabulous contests.
STATUS: Complete! There were some great wins this year: a 46" TV, an iPod, a manuscript critique, a bunch of stuff at the Canadian contest convention, movie passes, theatre tickets and door prizes at my TRW meetings. Woo hoo!

GOAL: Travel more.
STATUS: Kind of complete. Went to NYC with Michelle and took a day trip to London, Ontario (another prize) with my Mom.

GOAL: Try new things.
STATUS: Complete! Went over a 120-foot gorge on a zipline. Learned how to rappel. Auditioned for a TV show (that is moving forward into production, hooray!). Oh, and attended my first-ever contest convention.

GOAL: Eat more veggies - except the evil ones.
STATUS: Complete, though I'm sure I could do better at it. ;)

So out of 10 goals, I have seven that are complete, one that's kind of complete and two that I didn't achieve. That's pretty darn good if you ask me. Now would these goals have been accomplished if I didn't write them down and refer to them every once in a while?

Dunno. So I'm not going to risk it and start compiling my list for 2008 -- and this time I'm not holding back. I'm talking hardcore goal setting here.

:::wipes sweat from brow:::

Labels: