It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Nah, scratch that; it's totally the best of times!

Thanks to everyone for sending along birthday greetings. My coworkers' hairdresser celebrates her birthday for TWO MONTHS. Now that's being a tad excessive, so I'll stick to the month-long extravaganza originally planned.

But what are those plans, you ask? Good question!

:::scratches head:::

Huh. Now that I'm here, I'm at a loss. I really wasn't sure what to expect. I mean, I still feel like I'm nowhere near the age that some refuse to admit to being. Especially when people respond with "You're 40? Wow, you look great for your age."

And that's what really gets me: those three little words tacked on at the end of a compliment that rob it of it's power to please. Would you ever comment on someone's blog and say: "Great post! You write well for your age."

And I know someone's going to add that comment on this post, so don't stop there, come up with other compliments to mess up. Surprise me, please! ;)

Then I was going to write down the 40 things I want to do this year, but the thought of it left me exhausted. I have enough To Do lists lying around the house to keep me bizay until I turn 41 (gulp!).

And Michelle says I should be working on finishing my book anyway. Par-tay pooper!

So instead, here are 40 things I'm thankful for:

1. Aden
2. My awesome family
3. My excellent friends
4. Laughter
5. Insulin
6. Aspartame
7. Puppies (and older dogs too)
8. Good health
9. Great books
10. Work I love
11. Work that bugs me but pays the bills
12. Courageous people who show me things can be done
13. People who go on reality-TV shows and prove they really are dumbasses
14. The lessons I've learned
15. The ones I still need to work on
16. The ones I don't even know about yet
17. Swingsets
18. eBay
19. A roof over my head
20. Takeout food
21. Contests
22. The Boy in the Plastic Bubble
23. The Shawshank Redemption
24. Dirty Dancing
25. Monsters Inc.
26. Babe
27. The Changeling
28. Can U Feel It by The Jacksons
29. Anything by The Police
30. Anything by Simple Minds
31. Anything by Duran Duran
32. Anything I can write a song parody for
33. Summer rain
34. Pralines and Cream ice cream by Baskin-Robbins
35. Faded notes from a lifetime ago
36. Really weird dreams that I can remember
37. Dental floss
38. My mailbox
39. Opportunities

AND

40. New experiences

A bunch of us are taking on the zipline over the Elora Gorge tomorrow, so wish us luck! I'll be sure to post a photo if I survive it!