Oh. Mah. Gawd. I think this is the best excuse ever!

"I forgot all about it."
Blame it on multitasking, my addition to Diet Coke or my love of watching Ice Road Truckers (even the repeated episodes), but I completely forgot to find an excuse to stop writing.

And you're probably thinking, "Cry me a river, blondie."

Seriously though, I got so caught up in my words, some other stuff didn't get done. Of course, I can't really think of what those tasks are off the top of my head, but I'm sure they'll come to me eventually. Like when I run out of clean socks or groceries.

Now if only I could do this all the time. No, not go without food or clean socks, but be able to relax enough to let the words come out and take over.

Some authors talk about their characters taking over and allowing their authors to simply type what they are doing. And I used to think those writers were smoking something funny. Characters talking to you? Yeah, right.

But I've found that the more I get to know my characters, the more I know what they're going to say... or how they're going to react when the chocolate fountain falls over. Sob!

It's not that they're talking to me, per se, but it could be interpreted that they are. And this is what makes me forget to file the bills, delete emails and see if I have anything to donate to the local food drive.

This is when I must do a shout-out to my DH, because without him, our home would fall apart, socks would never be clean and we'd be out of milk for our tea. Over the years, he has learned to recognize when I'm in "the zone" (he's got scars) and stays fah, fah, away.

Zaphod still gently reminds me if I have been ignoring him, but then races down the stairs to hide from the crazy woman at the computer. Smart kitten.

How about you? How easy is it for you to get into "the zone"?

Labels: