I'm not a psychology major, but I think people's fears are really interesting. Most everyone has a fear of some sort, whether it's spiders, snakes or flying squirrels.

One of my biggest fears is heights. It's stood in the way of a few things for me, and two instances were even caught on camera when I was on Stuck. There's an Armed Forces obstacle course with my name on it, and one day I will return to conquer it.

It just won't be today.

One of my friends has a fear of paper cuts, which I find truly freaky and may borrow for a character in a novel... perhaps a newspaper reporter or bookkeeper. ;) And there was a gal in high school who would scream at the sight of an eyelash curler, but I think that might have been the result of memories of a makeover gone horribly wrong.

As I've experienced, fear stops a lot of people from going after their dreams. Luckily for me, my dream is not climbing Mt. Everest or an open staircase in a really tall building. But my fear of making mistakes has made me pause and miss some cool opportunities.

I hope by now I've learned when to ignore those warning voices in my head. Especially the ones that sound like Jack Bauer.

What about you? Do you have a weird fear -- or one that's stopping you in your tracks to success?

Labels: ,